September 26–28, 2013
The Friends of the University Museum, in conjunction with the Academic Traveler, presents a cultural Art Trip to Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas. Praised in the New Yorker, The New York Times, and The Washington Post, this is “the most-talked-about new museum in the United States in a generation.” Travelers will have the opportunity to visit the Arkansas Art Center and the Clinton Presidential Center in Little Rock, on the way to and from Bentonville.
- Tour Heifer International in Little Rock and explore the architecture of this innovative “green building” housing a global philanthropic organization
- At Crystal Bridges, explore the stunning architecture of renowned architect Moshe Safdie and the museum grounds, which include 120-acre site containing 3.5 miles of trails that wind among streams, ponds, wetlands, native plants, and sculpture.
- Visit the world-class collection at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art which includes works by Charles Wilson Peale, Thomas Hart Benton, Norman Rockwell, Andy Warhol, and Jenny Holzer, and special exhibitions
Surveying George Washington and Angels and Tomboys Girlhood in 19th Century American Art
- Explore the art collection and fine dining of the new 21c Museum Hotel
- Visit Thorncrown Chapel and the Mildred B. Cooper Memorial Chapel, two magnificent open-air structures by renowned architect Fay Jones
The tour coordinator for Crystal Bridges excursion is Laura Antonow, former designer at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, adjunct assistant professor of art at The University of Mississippi, director of the Academic Traveler program, and Friends of the University Museum board member.
Priority registration for University Museum Members extends July 15. After July 15, registration is open to the public. The general registration deadline for the Crystal Bridges trip is August 15.
The program fee is $495 per person (double occupancy).
Included in the program cost:
- Pre-departure educational material
- Pre-departure lectures
- Accommodations and porterage at the 21c Museum Hotel in Bentonville, Arkansas
- Group museum admissions and tour fees
- Breakfast and lunch on departure day
- Ground transportation to and from Oxford via motor coach
Excluded from the program cost:
- Travel insurance
- Meals, other than those listed above
- Single room: $200